Thursday, January 13, 2011

My birthday is dumb

I mean that in the literal sense. On a dumb scale of 1-10, Groundhog Day hovers around 23.



I'm not expecting anyone to do anything for it except possibly my daughter (if she isn't too busy straightening her hair) and my office mates. My son will almost certainly design the most adorable card ever designed by a child once someone tells him his mother is old(er). If it didn't fall on a Wednesday, he'd bring me toaster pastries and cereal in bed.

I'd like a King Cake this year.

My Desi boy really wants to take me out for my birthday. I mentioned that I've never had Indian food and he said he'll take me even though he doesn't really like it all that much. He probably has a similar relationship with his native cuisine as I do with Tex Mex.

He wants to meet for lunch one day at Spiral Diner (vegan, yet amazingly very good). As it turns out, he's a huge fan of the place and it's close to both of our offices.

I showed his picture to our 65-year-old staff assistant today.

"Oh geez, E! He's REALLY good looking. WOW! Why don't you email me that picture and I'll print it on photo paper for your desk? That is one good looking guy! Is he younger than you?"

For the record, he is. I'm 1.5 years his senior. I don't think that quite qualifies me as a cradle robber.

Neither of us know where this is going. He's a foreign guest worker; one of the rare legitimate ones actually imported to do a job few are trained to do. He's been in this country 6 years (5 in Boston) and his boss is wanting to ship him to India in a few months to train people. In order for him to stay here, he'd be out a shitload of money. He's not trying to snag an American wife for a visa.

"If I ever marry, it will be for marriage, not a visa."

So there you have it. Since I'm 110% certain neither of us is going to be willing to walk that plank in a few months,  it definitely leaves things up in the air. We've decided to continue things as they are and see where that leads. I refuse to stress over it.

I'm not sure how to describe the relationship. I don't know if I should call him my boyfriend. He's far more than a fuck buddy. Right now, I'm just unsure what that makes him.

No comments:

Post a Comment